Recipe: Lemon Chiffon Cake (Lemon Sponge Cake)
I very much enjoy the light and fluffy texture of chiffon/sponge cake. I usually make the Pandan version. This time, I wanted to try the lemon flavor. I absolutely love the outcome. It was the first time I baked a lemon chiffon cake. Shredded coconut was a perfect match to the lemon flavor. I coated the cake with a very thin layer of butter cream frosting in order to be able to stick the shredded coconut to the cake. It was simply delicious.
Ingredients for egg yolk mixture
- 8 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp of lemon zest
Ingredients for egg white mixture
- 8 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F, rack in middle position.
- To prepare the egg yolk mixture, beat egg yolks with sugar in a bowl until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add flour, baking powder, lemon juice and zest. Beat until combined.
- Add vegetable oil beat until combined.
- To prepare, the egg white mixture, beat egg white with sugar, cream of tartar and salt in the bowl of the stand mixer until firm peak is obtained.
- Gently, add half the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture to lighten the batter. Fold in the remaining egg white.
- Cook at 350⁰F for 1h10 minutes
- Once the cake is cooked, invert the pan and let the cake cool down for at least 3 hours before unmoulding.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Copyright © MakeChef.com.