Recipe: Galette des Rois (King Cake)
Galette des rois (King cake) is served on 6 January each year to celebrate Epiphany. It is very easy to make and so delicious.
- 1 puff pastry dough (1 lb)
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup almond powder
- 3 eggs
- Beat butter with sugar until creamy. Add 1 egg and 1/4 cup almond powder and mix.
- Add the second egg and the remaining almond powder and mix until well combined.
- Roll out the puff pastry. Cut out two circles of about 10″ in diameter.
- Prick the dough with a fork.
- Cover one layer with the filling leaving about 1″ from the edge.
- Beat the third egg and coat the edge of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Place the second circle of puff pastry over the filling and pinch the edge to seal.
- With the tip of a sharp knife, prick the top of the pastry in three spots (but not in the middle).
- Score a pattern of your choice over the top of the pastry.
- Brush the galette with the remaining beaten egg.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 400°F for 30 minutes. Let it cool on a cooling rack
- Serve warm.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: French
Copyright © MakeChef.com.