Recipe: Mille Feuilles with Strawberries or Blackberries
I absolutely love Mille-Feuilles, probably because of its multilayers of texture. As always I wanted to try a recipe with less sugar. I started by leaving out the frosting that covers the top pastry layer in most Mille-Feuilles recipes. Instead, I decorated the top with no added sugar whipped cream and fresh strawberries/blackberries. I also added fruits in the middle layer instead of using jam.
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 puff pastry (400g)
- 1 cup whipping cream 35% fat
- Strawberries or blackberries, cut in half
Instructions for custard
- On low heat, gently warm about 1¾ cup milk in a saucepan.
- To a bowl, add the flour to the remaining 1/4 cup milk, mix until well combined.
- Beat in sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add about 1 cup of warm milk to the flour-egg mixture. Add mixture to the remaining warm milk over low heat.
- Stir gently until the mixture thickens and is cooked.
- Remove from heat and transfer into a bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap in contact with the surface of the mixture.
- Once at room temperature, refrigerate the mixture until completely chilled.
Instructions for baking puff pastry
- Roll out the puff pastry into a 12×20 inch rectangle and cut into 3 rectangles of 4×20 inches each.
- Prick the surface of the dough with a fork. (At this point you can choose to brush the dough with milk and sprinkle with the sugar. I purposely left out the sugar and milk).
- Place the puff pastry on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in preheated oven at 400°F for about 15 minutes, rack in middle position. Let the pastry cool to room temperature on a cooling rack.
Instructions for whipped cream
- Beat the cream with an electric mixer until peaks form. (I did not add any sugar to the whipping cream. For a sweeter version, you might want to add about 2 tbsp sugar for every cup of cream).
Instructions for assembling the Mille Feuilles
- Cover or pipe one layer of custard over a first layer of puff pastry.
- Cover with a second sheet of puff pastry.
- Pipe a second layer of custard and cover with strawberries/blackberries.
- Cover with the third sheet of puff pastry.
- Pipe the whipped cream on the puff pastry and decorate with the fruits. Cut into 8 equal pieces. Serve chilled.
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: French
Copyright © MakeChef.com.