Recipe: Steamed Pork Buns (Bao)
Ingredients for the dough
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Ingredients for the filling
- 3 Chinese sausages, boiled for 5 min and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup crispy roast pork or barbecue pork (which ever you prefer), cut into small pieces
- 1 chicken breast cut into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- To the bowl of the stand mixer, add all the ingredients for the dough.
- Attach the dough hook and knead on low speed. Knead for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the stand mixer and form the dough into a ball.
- Spray the dough and side of the bowl with olive oil and cover tightly with a plastic wrap and place in a warm place, until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the filling for the buns.
- In a pan over medium heat, fry the onion and add the chicken.
- Add 2 tbps of hoisin sauce.
- Add the sausage and pork.
- Let the mixture cool down and divide the filling into 8 equal parts.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and divide into 8 equal parts.
- With a rolling pin, flatten the dough to form a circle and add 1 tbsp of the filling in the centre.
- Pinch the opening to seal and place each bun on 2” square parchment paper, seal side up.
- Steam the bun on high heat for 12 minutes. Do not open the lid of the steamer during steaming!
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Copyright © MakeChef.com.