Recipe: Nian Gao (Chinese New Year’s Cake)
Nian Gao also known as Chinese New Year’s Cake, is traditionally eaten during the Chinese New Year festivities. In some recipes, coconut milk is also added. But I love this recipe because it’s simple and it’s my mom’s recipe.
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Zest of 2 oranges
- In a heavy bottom pan, add about 1/2 cup water and sugar over medium heat until a syrupy consistency.
- Add the glutinous rice and the rest of water.
- Add the zest of two oranges.
- Line a dish with plastic film and pour the mixture into the dish.
- Heat the dish over a water bath, covered, for 2 hours.
- Let the cake cool down and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 24
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Copyright © MakeChef.com.