Recipe: Spatchcock Chicken
Summary: Another way to enjoy a roast chicken, simple and easy.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place rack in middle position.
- Flatten the chicken by removing the backbone (see picture).
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil and lay the chicken, skin side down in a cast iron pan. Immediately turn down the heat to medium.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil over the chicken and place a heavy pot on the foil, over the chicken.
- Cook for 20 minutes. The chicken should be sizzling and not smoking.
- Remove the pot and aluminum foil. Place the chicken in the cast iron in the oven and cook for 35 minutes or until the temperature inside the chicken reaches 175°F.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minute
Cooking time: 55 minute>
Number of servings (yield): 4
Copyright © MakeChef.com.
Opening the chicken with kitchen scissors
Chicken butterflied in a skillet
Pot on the chicken
Spatchcock chicken roasted and ready to be served