Recipe: Sushi Rolls
Ingredients for the Sushi rice
- 2 and a 1/2 cups sushi rice (I use Calrose rice)
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 5 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
Ingredients for the fillings
- Strips of salmon (I used farm raised Salmon)
- 1 carrot, cut into strips of 5 mm thick and of the same length as the seaweeds.
- 1 cucumber, cut into strips of 5 mm thick and of the same length as the seaweeds.
Instructions for the Sushi Rice
- Wash the sushi rice several times until the water runs clear.
- Cover the sushi rice with water and let it soak for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and add 2 cups of water to the rice.
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker.
- Once the rice is cooked, let it cool.
- In the meantime, in a bowl, dissolve the sugar and salt in the rice vinegar.
- Add this mixture to the cooled rice.
- Add the black sesame seeds to the rice.
Instructions for assembling the Sushi
- Put about 2 tablespoons of the cooked and seasoned sushi rice on one seaweed.
- Gently distribute the rice over the seaweed leaving about 2 cm from the edge of the seaweed I use the back of a spoon or chopsticks.
- Place one strip of carrot, cucumber and salmon in the centre of the rice and roll tight.
- Cut the sushi into 6 pieces with a very sharp knife.
- Serve with pickled ginger and wasabi sauce.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Japanese
Copyright © MakeChef.com.