I use this tomato sauce for pizza toppings, spaghetti meatballs and lasagna for example. I would make a large quantity and freeze them in ice cubes trays. This way I can use the quantity I need during the week.
San Marzano Tomato Cans at Costco
- 1 can (100 oz) whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes (I buy it at Costco)
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 garlic head, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (this helps to reduce the acidity of the tomato)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomato, water, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and lower the heat to low. Cover with a lid and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the baking soda and take the pot off the heat.
- Let the sauce cool and blend it using an electric blender until smooth.
- Fill the sauce in ice cubes trays and freeze. Transfer the frozen cubes in Ziploc plastic bags for storage in the freezer.